Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Setting the Record Straight

So, you know how sometimes it helps to picture the writer while you read?
I'm thinking this may be one of those times.
So, here's me...looking hopeful and thankful, right?
Let's hope so.

Moving on......


Hey there.
Today I've got something on my mind......bare with for a minute while I talk statistics.
I do have a point, I promise.

Did you know that this little blog of mine is growing like a weed?
Because it is.
 If you do recall, I was so excited in November when I met my 100,000 view mark.
Well, guess what?
Last week I reached the 200,000 view mark. I may not be good at math, but this I can handle.
That's approximately 50,000 views each month.
Holy canoli. That's a whole lot of views.
People must really like cake batter dip, which had just under 60,000 views in the past two months.
That's right folks, 60,000.

Now here's the part where I can make my point:

PLEASE HEAR THIS PART:

I am very, very thankful that 60,000 people took an interest in what I had to say about dip that tastes like cake. Really, really I am.

HERE'S THE HOWEVER YOU WERE NO DOUBT EXPECTING:

Why does this kind of hurt my feelings?
I think this kind of makes me sad because I'm not trying to write a recipe blog. While I do sometimes POST recipes, that's not my goal here.

That leads me to ask myself, what exactly IS my goal here? Why do I blog? What is about blogging that keeps me coming back for more and makes me look forward to it every day?

There are several reasons.
 So, I made a list (in case you didn't know, lists are kinda my thing):

1. I love the idea that something I say will encourage or impact or motivate one of you. I especially love the idea of something that I saw as a negative part of my life or a bad day affecting one of you in a way that something good comes out of it. This idea makes me very, very happy.

2. I love sharing (what I hope are) good ideas. I think our best tool as mothers, as women, and as friends is each other. And every once in a blue moon, I have an idea that I think you may like too. So I share. And you usually like. And this too puts a smile on my face.

3. I love to write. I love to record. And I don't do scrapbooks. This IS my scrapbook. This is the place where I record the major and completely forgettable moments of my life and my family's life because I don't WANT to forget them. If for nothing else, blogging is a great way to keep up with what I was doing last week, last month, or last year. It's the place where I can see how much I've grown, how I handled things, and how I viewed whatever it may be. I am a firm believer in the notion that we tend to sugarcoat our pasts sometimes. And I'm not all that into sugarcoating. I want the truth, and so I blog. I blog mostly for me, but I love that you enjoy it as well.

4. And I think it's safe to say that this is the most important reason: I blog because I like you. I LOVE the ways my blog has connected me with old friends and helped me meet new ones. I love that through blogging I have learned so much about other people and the things we have in common. I love that blogging inspires me to be a better mom and to get up and DO something new. I love the fact that blogging forces me to put my opinions and thoughts out there for all to see. It's sometimes scary, and there are times I've dreaded the response I would receive. But you, my friends, are always there, waiting with your helpful, kind, thoughtful comments. To sum it up, who has the best readers ever? Ummmm, that would be me, thanks.

MY POINT:

I suppose that if I want people to head my way for something over than yummy treats, I need to post things are clever, creative, well-written, thought-provoking, relateable, real, and honest.
That's a big request, but I'll take that challenge.


And if you made the cake batter dip, two cool points are headed your way.


Here's hoping your Wednesday was t-totally awesome. Ours was filled with another attack from the stomach visit. This time Hollyn was the one that fell prey to its evil devices. Oh, stomach virus...we are so not friends.



Tomorrow I'll be linking this post here, so if you found my blog via Casey, welcome. Hope you liked what you saw and enjoyed what you read. :)

3 comments:

  1. I love your blog. You've inspired me to be more creative and to start mine (even though I'm sucking at keeping up with it right now...). You make me think, give me ideas, and make me wish I had known you better when we were at the W. I totally feel like we're BBF's (blog best friends--lol!) now. Just wanted to let ya know! Hope Hollyn feels better soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Found your blog a couple days ago, and I thought you should know that you have successfully completed #1 on your lists of reasons why you blog! you are totally motivating and I love reading about your life as a mother- and your kids are adorable.
    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually found your blog through the cake batter dip post just yesterday. Someone had pinned it on pinterest and then I just happened to read some more of your posts and will definitely be following it (not at all because of the recipe, though it is a good idea). You take such great pictures of your kids, they're so cute! Hope Hollyn feels better!

    ReplyDelete

Cool people leave comments. Comments make me happy. You do the math.