Tuesday, January 10, 2012

2012: What I'm Resolving NOT to Do This Year {Linky Party}

{You can find my list from last year here.}

I believe in the power of resolutions.
I think that by simply choosing to do or be better and then making note of it, whether it's through confiding in a friend, announcing it to the world via facebook or your blog, or simply writing it down and tucking it away in a place where only you will see it.
 I think that there's something to be said about wanting to be and do better.
 And I want to do both this year.

So, with that being said, here are the things I am aiming NOT to do in 2012: 

1. I will NOT let facebook by my only connection with the outside world.



I am so guilty of this. Instead of calling a friend or sending a card (which I'm afraid will soon be a long lost tradition), I check in on facebook. There's no real contact. There's no intimacy. There are so shared smiles, tears, or giggles. This year, I'm making more of an effort to keep up with those who are dear but perhaps not so near to me. There will be more phone calls, more e-mails, and more letters. Get ready.

2. I will NOT eat when I'm bored.


Although I am not terribly bad about this, I do want to be more conscious this year about eating when I'm truly hungry rather than when I'm truly bored.


3. I will NOT fail to comment.


I have failed miserably at this this past year.
I'll read a blog post, love it, be touched and moved by it, and yet I still fail to comment.
This year, if I enjoy reading what someone took the time to write, I will make an effort to tell them so. I am touched by those who comment on my blog, who let me know that someone out there took the time to read what I wrote and to peek into this little life of mine. And then to know that someone actually liked what I had to say....well, it's like the cherry on top. I want to be that little voice to someone else.
 Commenting, here I come.



4. I will NOT rush through my morning.


This is probably the biggest thing that I need to work on changing this year. You see, I wish I was that mom who got up early every morning, went for a run, came back and showered. Then I'd cook a big breakfast, and enjoy a cup of coffee while doing my morning devotion. All of this would be done before the kids even wake up, of course.


Well, it turns out that in real life, I am anything BUT that mom. I sleep 'til the last possible second, rush to get ready, get frustrated, and leave the house a frazzled mess.

While I'm not expecting a major revolution, I do realize that I am happier and more pleasant and have an overall better day when I get up just a little earlier in the moring and have more time to do my thang. My family deserves a mom who is friendly in the a.m., and this year I will be making an effort to give them that, at least more often than not.


5. I will NOT covet.




I want one of these....badly. And one day I will have one. But it's my turn to enter the magical camera world, I will sit patiently and will NOT waste my time being jealous of those who are clicking and editing away.

6. I will NOT watch more than I read.


I love to read. It's truly one of my all-time favorite activities. And yet in 2011, it often took a backseat to, of all things, the television. It's just so easy to pop in a movie or flip the channel and melt away my worries. But, what do I really gain from that? I'm not saying the tv is bad; it's not. But everything should be used in moderation, and moderation does not mean consuming most of my free time. This year I WILL read more than I watch. I've already made my list...and have already finished one book that is on it.

Now it's your turn.
I want to hear what you're wanting to do this year or resolving NOT to do this year.
Link up your resolutions, ladies {or gents, if there are any readers of the male variety out there}.
And then go and see what others are resolving to do in 2012.
And remember: a little encouragement goes a long way.
As for me? I'm ready to comment, so send your posts my way.

This link will be open for one week...so that means until next Tuesday, January 17th.
And if you want to link the post back to this post so that others can join in the fun, I'd certainly appreciate it.
Until then, happy resolution-ing to you and you and you.



Linking this post here, here,here, and here.

5 comments:

  1. Hi! Thanks so much for your sweet comment. I have linked up. I completely agree with what you have said as well. I'm off to check out your blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am intrigued by your outlook on this 'resolution' thingy... what not to do! I like that.
    so.... I am NOT going to take for granted the blessed life that I have. I have seen through friends' tragedies that life IS short... God blesses me with a new day, each day and I am going to enjoy it. I am going to love my husband more, cherish my girls deeper, and smile wider when I see my handsome son. I am going to be so very thankful each time I clock in at my job(s) and be so very grateful each time I receive my paycheck. And I am going to get up out of my pew and be the woman that God wants me to be... hence, I will serve Him more with each passing day. Thank you for your insight and the prompting to do the same. Melissa Hightower

    ReplyDelete
  3. i'm very impressed by your resolutions... can't say i'm too good at setting them... but i HAVE starting sorting my bookshelves - a major task....
    i'm having a giveaway with coffee this week :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. First of all, I usually do not post a comment the first time I find a new blog that I like.I always think people might think I'm weird but then I think, hey that's what blogs are for. To communicate with one another and then I still don't do it. But your post touched me and I saw myself in a lot of your resolutions in 2012. I want to get better with commenting as well and I thought I would start right here with you. Thanks for linking up with amy's virtual coffee, that's how I found you

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had my digital camera stolen about a year ago and went without one for a few months...it almost killed me..but what I learned was to borrow a camera from a friend and to use the camera that I did have (Kodak point and shoot) to continue to be creative. you don't need a fancy camera to be creative!! congrats on your list!! hugs, cathy

    ReplyDelete

Cool people leave comments. Comments make me happy. You do the math.