Thursday, January 19, 2012

In The Most Simple Ways


First, let me say that my absence these past few days: totally unexpected.

Two very dear friends of mine are going through very hard times, AND I've had the stomach bug...both of these things have resulted in me not having much left at the end of the day for blogging. 
So, so sorry. 
Forgive me? 
Great; you guys are the best. 

Today I wanted to share with you a few things that I've discovered lately that are making me super happy....that translates to ear-to-ear grin kinda happy, in case there was any question there.

First, Libby and I LOVED watching this movie together last weekend: 

It's based on a true story and is WONDERFUL. Great message, great story about families working through tough times, great inspiration for all. AND, it's currently streaming on Netflix. I highly recommend, but be warned: it does deal with cancer and is sad. I do believe, though, that after seeing this, Libby has a new found empathy for the situations and trials other face. If you check it out and love it (which I'm pretty sure you will), let me know. I'd love to hear your thoughts on it. And to find out more about the boy who inspired the movie, you can check that out here:


Second, I cannot believe I haven't discovered this show sooner:

Parenthood

A few weeks ago, one of my favorite Christian bloggers talked about how much she loves this show, and I realized I was clearly missing something. This is not surprising considering keeping up with hot TV trends is usually not to be found on my list of priorities. Well, fortunately for me, this is also currently streaming on Netflix, and I think it's safe to say I'm teetering on the edge of addiction. I love the characters, I love the real-life story lines, I love how the family works together, and I love how it encourages me as a parent. Are you a fan? If so, what is your favorite storyline?
 I ask because I simply can't pick a favorite; I kinda love them all.....


Next on the list is this book series by Karen Kingsbury:



I have read (and loved) many of her books, but the Bailey Flanagan series may be my favorite.
I just finished the third book in the series and cannot wait for the fourth and final book to come out in March. I love how Karen Kingsbury writes about relatable characters and how they approach the world and its many problems as Christians. And, for those who love a good love triangle, this one simply can't be beat. I honestly don't know who I want Bailey to choose in the fourth book.....

Moving on for now...


I am also loving this little ditty:


A friend gave me this Jane Austen Devotional for my birthday, and can I just say it's one of my all-time favorite gifts. How stinkin' thoughtful was that! Taking my love for literature and combining it with my love for God's word; you can't beat it. This book pulls passages from Jane Austen's works and relates them to scripture. Love, love, love it.

And finally, I am loving this:





The church we are visiting is starting Beth Moore's new study on the book of James very soon, and I am so excited. If you've never done a study by her, I highly recommend it. She just has such a way with words, and I love how much I learn about scripture when doing her studies. She takes what is often times intimidating and relates it to every day life explained in every day language. Have any of  you done this one yet? I can't wait to learn more about this book of the Bible.

Here's hoping the stomach bug is banned from your house, and that it doesn't return to our any time soon. Once a year is enough for us.

Happy Thursday to you and you and you.

4 comments:

  1. YAY! So glad you are liking Parenthood! It's pretty much the one show that Jody and I sit down and watch together! :) Oh, and I LOVE KK too! I am on the first Bailey series book...but I am a Cody fan all the way!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhhh, Parenthood. I love it. And I agree, the story lines are very real, and you can totally relate to the characters. I purposefully record the show, so I can get through the commercials faster!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here's to hoping you are feeling better! I heart Parenthood. I've been watching it since the beginning and so I'm completely invested in all of the characters. So glad you love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love parenthood AND I'm doing the Beth Moore James study with my bible study and it's great! Its pretty deep! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete

Cool people leave comments. Comments make me happy. You do the math.