Sunday, January 23, 2011

30 in my 30's: This One is Huge

So, those of you who know me know that when I get an idea in my head, getting rid of it is like trying to dodge mosquitos when driving down the road in Mississippi in the summer. In other words, it's just not gonna happen. And for the past few months, there's been one thing one my mind that I simply can't shake:
AFRICA.

I think about Africa, I daydream about Africa, I talk about Africa...heck, I've even Googled Africa, more than once I might add.

I've bought the t-shirt:



And the ring:



But it's very obvious to me that I'm meant to do more to help this hurting continent and its beautiful people.
And while I'm not quite sure what exactly God has in store for me and Africa just yet, He's recently given me an opportunity to help this land I've come to love and respect in such a precious way.

You see, Kristen, who happens to be one of my pseudo little sisters, has recently been called to go on a mission trip to Africa this summer.
And I'm terribly jealous.
Like we're talking jealous to the depths of my soul jealous.


But I'm also determined to help, so excited for her, and more proud of her than I can possibly express.
You see, not only is Kristen going with a group she doesn't really know, but she's also going out on a giant leap of faith in terms of funding for her two week African adventure this coming June, both of which are shoving her out of her comfort zone.



For the past four years, Kristen has been a huge part of my life.
She's loved my children more than words can express and has truly become a part of our family.
Our guestroom might as well have her name engraved on the door.



I've watched her grow, not only in her faith, but in her desire to serve others, which is something that is such a huge part of my own life that I can't help but want to share.
And it thrills my soul that she's listening to God's calling for this trip.
I literally CANNOT WAIT to see all that He has in store for her and all the ways He will bless her and use her.

And if you've been around here long enough, you know that I am firm believer in the idea that God gives us each gifts. One of my life verses is 1 Peter 4:10, which talks about how we are to use our individual gifts to serve our God and His people.

And while there are a million things that I am absolutely terrible at, I believe one of my gifts comes in the form of fundraising. Seriously, I have mad skills, yo.
And I could not be more excited to use them to help Kristen help Africa, which just happens to be #29 on my 30 in my 30's list:

Do something to help the people suffering in Africa.

This weekend we kicked off her fundraising campaign by writing, sending, and addressing letters to those she hopes will support her via prayer or finicial means or both.


And I'm going to be hosting a fundraiser for Kristen
and my two other friends who will be traveling to Africa this summer.

So while I can't go myself and while I'm certain this is not all God has up His sleeve for me and dear ole' Africa, I am sure that helping someone I love do something wonderful....well, it pretty much made my month....and she hasn't even raised any funds yet.
But, they'll come, I'm sure.
And we will be both be blessed with every dollar that comes her way.

And in the hopes that I've peeked your interests about Africa and why I feel such a desire to help, I'll be doing several posts about Africa in the days to come, as well as hosting my first ever attempt to use this here blog to do some good via a blog fundraiser I have in the works.

Are you excited yet?
If not, don't worry...I think I'm excited enough for us both.

3 comments:

  1. You are one of the biggest blessings to my life. I love you. times 21 MILLION. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to read more! I went to Uganda a few years ago and absolutely loved it! I love your faith and your commitment to using your gifts and talents to build God's kingdom. If someone from your blog were wanting to donate to Kristen, how would they do that?

    Thanks for an uplifting, fun blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK...this is habit forming...where do I get the shirt? I havent found it yet in my backlog blog reading.

    ReplyDelete

Cool people leave comments. Comments make me happy. You do the math.