Wednesday, August 17, 2011

The Motherhood Mission

Let's be honest for a minute, shall we?
This whole mothering thing is tough stuff.
I've often said that I truly wish someone had been honest with me about what motherhood was really all about before I had children.
I truly believe that society sets women up for disappointment in leading them to believe that every day as a mom will be filled with hugs, kisses, and compliments...

That we will spend our days snuggling and staring into the eyes of a child who only wants to please us....

That we will always say nice things, always get along, and that this child will bring nothing but joy to our lives.

Please don't misunderstand what I'm saying here;
I ADORE my children. I would do anything in this world for them and could not possibly be more thankful for the chance to be their mom.

However, perfect everyday it is most certainly not.

In case you're new around these here parts,
life in my house has been anything but peaceful during these past few months.

Take a little trip down memory lane with me, mkay?

and


Point being: life is tough....

and I've been so caught up in keeping my head above water lately that I feel like I'm missing out on so many of the joys that motherhood has to offer because I'm too busy with all the ends and out of life.

And my kids need and deserve better from me.

So, in an attempt to do my girls justice, I will be attempting this:


Love, love, love.

I found it on Pinterest and instantly knew that it was something I wanted to use as a stepping stone to reconnect with the reasons I love motherhood.
I feel that having a list and sharing my journey with you will keep me more accountable and possibly encourage some of you to join in and participate as well.
If you do decide to work through this list with me, will you please leave a comment and let me know? I'd love to hear what you have to say and see what you come up with to help you focus on the positive aspects of mothering rather than the no and stop that that often comes with this oh so bumpy ride.

I'll do my best to stay in order, but I'm pretty sure I'll jump around within the thirty days, meaning I'll make them work to fit my schedule, because while I wish I could just pause the rest of my life to focus on mothering with a smile, that's simply not the case. As I complete each one I'll share it with you....maybe several clumped together in one post. No promises that each one will get its own, partially because I'm sure I'll miss a day of posting here or there.


And while I have your attention, today I will be completing # 8.
After a little math, I have come to realize that Libby has about 627 more weekends before graduating from high school, and Hollyn has about 852.

While this may seem like a lot, considering that there are 365 days in a year, combined with the fact that I feel like I've hardly seen my kiddos since school started, this has really given a big kick of perspective.

Here's wishing you a wonderful mid-week and promising to be back very, very soon.

And, while you're already here, how about you share your favorite thing about motherhood with me in a comment? I'd love to hear what helps you balance all the wonderful moments that come with the job with the ones you'd rather not redo.

And when I return, we shall discuss Lib's "whip my hair experience".
It's worth waiting for....take my word for it.



4 comments:

  1. I'm in! I needed this today--we had a REALLY rough morning involving a cup of cereal all over the floor, 2 bites (Caroline to me and me to her), 2 spankings in the heat of the moment, and a threat for a day at daycare instead of swimming. Whew. My favorite thing about motherhood was captured in a moment last week--I told C "I love you". She randomly will respond "love you"; she did that automatically and then said "love you, Mama". MELT MY HEART!!!
    PS--Thanks for figuring out the weekends until graduation for H--I can subtract 4 and know how many C has! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE this idea!! I will try to follow along. Motherhood is certainly challenging every single day and this list can help give some perspective!

    ReplyDelete
  3. started this the other day, actually!! found it on pinterst a week or so, and I was hoooked. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. snuggling together while reading books - LOVE!!! That and having Mary Louise and David imitate me - gives me the giggles everytime - apparently, I look a whole lot of ridiculous, a whole lot of the time! (not a real winner of a moment: this morning, David was playing with the hose. I rushed inside to quickly change the laundry, came back, and David was standing in the back doorway with the hose streaming into the kitchen. He and Mary Louise thought it was a riot - Momma? not so much.)

    ReplyDelete

Cool people leave comments. Comments make me happy. You do the math.