Friday, December 31, 2010

The Mississippi Children's Museum+Libby= Love

Yesterday, my little family and I headed out on our last adventure of 2010.
You see, a few weeks ago, I was contacted by a representative of the new Mississippi Children's Museum and asked if I would be willing to come check it out and share my thoughts about it on this here blog.  First, can I just say that I've kinda had a crush on the new children's museum since I first heard about it over a year ago. And I seriously sat the hubby down and begged him to consider moving to Jackson so I could apply for a job there. With my degree in education and my certification in gifted studies, I so think that working there would be a version of my dream job.
Point being, when offering a chance to go check it out just weeks after it opened its doors, I immediately said yes, and check it out we did.

Our day started with Lib and her map.


She studied it and thought about it and decided what she wanted to check out first.....


.... and then she got distracted as we rounded the corner from the elevator and she breathed in all that is the new Mississippi Children's Museum.

I think it's very, very safe to say that she loved every inch of it....

starting with the river and the chance to catch a 'catfish'.



While she was fishing, I was taking it all in...

I tell no lies when I say I've been to A LOT of museums, some in my own childhood days and some in my many adventures with my students.

And hands down, this is THE MOST VISUALLY APPEALING museum I've yet to meet.



I'd love to shake the hands of those who designed it.
As a parent, a teacher, and a mom, I believe they did an amazing job utilizing every square inch
 and making the museum as kid and parent friendly as possible.


One of the neatest parts to me was the music room, which was stocked full of some of the coolest instruments around, which the Libster just loved.



And then there was the dress up room, aka Libby's own version of heaven here on Earth.


I seriously thought I was going to have to bribe her with ice cream to get her to leave.


Ok, ok....so maybe she wasn't the only one who loved it.


But move on we did, and please check out what I believe is the coolest staircase ever created.


I mean, seriously-- what kid wouldn't love it?

We also visited the produce truck.....


...and then found our way to the Gastro Climber.


This was my second favorite exhibit. The kids climb into the mouth and travel through 'the digestive system', learning about it as they go.



And at the end, they arrive in the giant pseudo potty.


Needless to say, Libby thought this was the coolest playground ever.

Another thing I thought was so wonderful about the experience is the way they really worked learning about Mississippi into the museum as a whole.

Here's Libby in the underground Mississippi, where she learned about animals that live underground in the good ole' MS....

such as skunks.


And now, my favorite part:

the life-sized Scrabble game.


Seriously, I would have stayed there all. day. long. if the Lib had been as into it as I was.
 I seriously want one of these for my classroom.

Speaking of classroom, I love the way the museum makes learning to read so darn fun.


They also placed some emphasis on creating a healthier Mississippi by teaching our kiddos about the importance of eating right and exercising.


And when you visit (which I'm sure you will after reading this and seeing how darn fun it is), be sure to notice how the middle level is shaped like the state.....


...and how they worked hard to slip in facts about it wherever possible.


Oh, and in case you're wondering, Hollyn really enjoyed the museum as well. Seriously, she sat in her stroller the whole time and never made a peep. She was so interested in all that was going on around her and in watching Mom and Dad chase, I mean follow,  Libby.



Speaking of Libby, her favorite part, surprisingly, was the car and building section on the top floor.


She loved trying to drive, pump fake gas, and change a tire.


Although she does appear to need a little help with cleaning the windshield,
partly because she can't yet reach it.


But, she sure was cute in her construction gear.


And she was some kinda serious about moving the building materials with the crane.


And she loved climbing inside the state capitol building and searching for the animals hidden in the trees.


And while this is by no means all we saw and did at the museum, I think it's safe to assume that you're now itching for more, right?

In case there was any question about what I thought about the museum, I give it a very emphatic two thumbs up. If you're ever in the area, I highly recommend a visit.

But be prepared:

your kids might have so much fun and get so warn out that they swipe their little sister's stroller before the day is done.



Thanks, Mississippi Children's Museum for giving us a great day together as a family, and don't worry--- we'll be back very, very soon.

3 comments:

  1. How fun! I will have to make a trip there on one of my trips home when C gets a little bigger!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a GREAT place to visit. If we're ever in the South I'll have to tack on a day just for the museum.
    We have a pretty great Children's museum here in St.Paul, MN as well that we are thankful for.
    Thanks for the descriptions and pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! What an upgrade. Looks like I will need to take Jack one weekend.

    ReplyDelete

Cool people leave comments. Comments make me happy. You do the math.