Saturday, October 8, 2011

I Am That Mom: Edi




Hi! I'm Edi from I'm Mama Y'all! Thanks McCall for letting me guest post today!





I'm always thinking about what kind of mom I might be.
If I told you everything I thought about what kind of mom I think I am, you would think I'm crazy.
So instead I'll just give you a little insight into my life as a mommy.
 This is absolutely enough for you to judge me!


I am that mom who could count on one hand the number of times I held a baby under 6 months old before I had my own.


I am that mom that didn't know if I wanted kids, but when these two kiddos got here....
I couldn't imagine my life without kids...and now I want 2 more...maybe....if I can get past the being pregnant part.


I am that mom, who, only 6 and a half months into being a new mom with zero knowledge of how to even change a diaper, found out I was pregnant with baby #2. With tears in my eyes I told my sweet husband. He was so excited. I was scared. I mean, I didn't even know what I was doing with the first one...what in the world were we going to do with 2. Now it is just second nature.


I am that mom who is not a germaphobe. I didn't sanitize or wash my hands every 30 seconds (or make anyone else do it) with our newborns. I didn't wash the pacifier off when it hit the ground. It would be lucky to get a rub off on my pants. We eat food after it hits the floor. Haven't you ever heard of the 5 second rule? Surprisingly enough my kids are rarely sick.


Ironically, I am that mom who was completely obsessed with having a clean house (maybe neat is a better word). I finally figured out that I need to be less concerned with having a clean house and clean babies and more concerned with having fun with my babies playing with play dough and crayons and toys...and worry about the mess later.


I am that mom that lets my kids eat cookies and chocolate and suckers and drink coke and sprite and chocolate milk. Because they eat fruits and veggies and drink milk at lunch and supper...and you only get to be a kid once.





As a result, I am that mom who is not beneath bribing my girls with candy or cookies...or stickers.


I am that mom who feels guilty about not staying home with my kids, but I feel like I'm a better mom because I work. Reason...I don't have the heart of a teacher. My girls have learned so much since we started daycare. They have learned so much that I couldn't have taught them. It also helps with my patience with them....patience is something I've had to really work on. I get aggravated way too easy and way too often.


I am that mom who wants my girls to have a solid foundation in the Word. I want them to love the Lord Jesus Christ with all their heart, soul, and mind. I want them to love God so much that when they start looking for a husband is their motto.






I want to help them get to this point. I want to be an example of a Proverbs 31 and a Titus 2 woman so they will know what God expects of them as a woman of God. I want my girls to meet a man that loves them only second to their Lord and Savior.

I am that mom who is terrified of my girls growing up. I want them to stay little forever. I want them to want to hug mommy and "mooch" mommy and be innocent. I don't want them to experience the pains of the life. I want them not have to worry about anything except who is playing with that toy. But I know that it is going to happen, so I am trying to prepare myself for it.





I am that mom who checks on my girls 4 or 5 times before I go to bed at night.
I really just want to see them sleeping.
It is the sweetest thing.


I am that mom who has dance parties with my girls and we dance around the den to all kinds of music like crazy people. We also all sing and dance in the car. We really like to shake the sillies out.


I am that mom that will play just about anything with my girls, but I refuse to play with play dough. I didn't like it when I was a kid and I don't like it now. I'll be happy to watch. Thank you.


I am that mom who thinks birthdays are super important. I think that one day is the day that is all about my baby. I will not, however, succomb to the over the top birthday parties. I don't have enough time in my day to make my decorations and I'm not going to spend a fortune on trying to outdo someone else. I don't believe in trying to keep up with the Joneses. I do however buy good presents and always an awesome cake.


I am that mom who makes sure to let my girls know just how much I love every.single.day.



Thanks so much for sharing, Edi!
 If you want to hear more about Edi and her precious kiddos, you can check her out at www.themcilwains.blogspot.com. I love her blog because she is funny and honest, always.

I hope you're having a great weekend. And, according to Libby (who said this in giggle because that little stinker knew it wasn't true), Columbus sailed the ocean blue in 2004.
Here's to you, Chris, and your oh-so-recent voyage.


One of the most comforting things to me as I attempt to find my way through this journey as a Mom
 is the advice and insight of other moms.

So I ask, what's the BEST mothering advice you've ever received?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Cool people leave comments. Comments make me happy. You do the math.